Monday 2 January 2012

2012 Family Plan for Giving



“Family projects that involve giving to those in need during the holidays can be turned into powerful lessons that teach compassion, empathy, and meaning to children.”
  ~Dr. Marilyn Price-Mitchell

The act of giving has a significant impact on a child’s development. Come up with an action plan to engage your family in the acts of giving and volunteerism. 


As part of my own plan for this year, I will be regularly sorting through our clothes and donating those that we no longer need or use. I will also be donating old toys, that are in good condition but no longer played with, to the school.


I'm the first to admit it. I like to spoil my kids at Christmas. Friends and family give presents as well. My eldest has his birthday in December too so it's a kind of present over-load period in our house. All of which leaves me starting the new year wondering where I'm going to put everything. We're lucky. We have so much to be thankful for. It does make me aware that the kids then need to find balance again though and not take things for granted.


This is a great way to clear the clutter and help others at the same time. It teaches children not to waste and underlines the act of giving. When donating old toys to the school I make my son take an active part in selecting which toys he longer needs (as he's only just 4 years old, giving them to his school makes the process easier as he can still play with them there and he gets a daily reminder of the effects of helping others).


My hope is that this plan for giving will have a positive impact on my children and make them realize how fortunate they are whilst positively impacting my community.


We need to be the change we want to see in the world. This is one small step in the right direction.



Get involved in the family giving project and describe your own family’s strategy for helping others throughout the New Year.



1 comment:

  1. MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
    Top rated removal companies in Wigan
    Top rated removal companies in Wigan

    ReplyDelete

Please no SPAM. Comments are welcome on all posts but should be respectful of the blog and clean. Thank you for your understanding. I hope you will be active on this blog and welcome your feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...