Thursday 6 June 2013

Visiting a New School

Image source: Microsoft
Although my son won't be starting his new school until September, when the new term starts, it's the hot topic in our house at the moment. He'll be finished with pre-school at the end of this month and going on to his first year in "big school". 

This week we were invited to a meeting at the new school so we could meet the teachers and be given a bit of information about what to expect when term starts. 

Each parent was given a photocopy of a list of materials each child will need. I have to say I was relieved they made a copy for us to take away as I always worry that I've forgotten something if I have to remember it all myself. 

The first thing that hit me was how long the list was. It really hit home that my "little baby" is growing up.  A different coloured workbook for each subject, a diary for notes from the teacher, homework, etc..., it was at this point that I looked up and took in the room. A real classroom with a whiteboard up front by the teachers desk. No more play areas with sandpits or toy castles. The children's work pinned to the walls was much more involved than the colouring I was used to seeing at the pre-school. All this made me realise even more what a big step this is going to be. 

All the teachers were really nice and the children all seemed to feel comfortable being there. It was nice, for us and them, to have the chance to meet the class in advance. I also feel a bit more prepared for what's to come now although I'm still finding it hard to take in that he's growing up so quickly.

How did you prepare your child for big school? Any tips for making it go as smoothly as possible? 

2 comments:

  1. Mine is going into 6th grade next year- which for us means she is going on to the 'bigger' school O.o gulp!

    ReplyDelete

Please no SPAM. Comments are welcome on all posts but should be respectful of the blog and clean. Thank you for your understanding. I hope you will be active on this blog and welcome your feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...