Tuesday 2 April 2013

How My Daughter Saved My Life After a Cancer Diagnosis



“I saved my mommy’s life.” That is all my seven-year old daughter can say about my cancer. The response is so perfunctory that she says it as if she is saying, “I am hungry.” or “I don’t feel well.” She doesn’t even think twice about saying it now, but most people don’t understand how true her statement really is. She really did save my life, and now, I’ll tell you how.

Before having kids, my husband and I waited seven years. I was 35 and nervous because of my age, but I wanted to try.  I didn’t know how long it would take to get pregnant, but three pregnancy tests later we were pregnant and having a baby! We were so excited! We were also shocked and nervous. 

I couldn’t believe that I was going to be a mother! I look back and think about how quickly I adopted my new mommy role. I remember rubbing my belly and getting excited that our new baby would soon be born. Even though I was excited, I had so many questions. I wondered what type of mom I would be. Would I be a fun mom or a strict mom? Could I even adopt the cool mom role? All I knew was that I wanted to be good mom. 

I had such a smooth pregnancy that I often joke that I could have done it another 10 times, but the delivery was another story. She was breech, and I had to have an emergency C-section. I remember thinking that, “At least, she will have a round head.” That was how I was trying to remain confident and look on the bright side of things. When I first held her, I was so overcome with emotion. 

I knew that I had to do whatever possible to provide her with love. I wanted to make sure she was protected and happy. I thought of ways that I could love her, coach her, and teach her to be the best she can be. My entire life began to revolve around her. I studied her face, held her and even took in her scent. I revelled in the simple moments and never imagined that soon one of life’s storms would be knocking at my door. 

My diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma came three and one-half months after the birth of my daughter. My doctor told me that if I didn’t start treatment immediately that I would only have 15 months to live. I was so thankful for my husband after my diagnosis because I was detached from the situation and in complete shock.  I kept imagining what I would do if I had to leave Cameron and my daughter in the world without me. 

While my mind was racing, I had to listen to the doctor’s treatment options. We immediately made the decision to accept the most drastic form of treatment. The best treatment happened to be in Boston. He is considered to be one of the best in the industry. 

When he began the procedure, he removed my entire left lung, the heart’s lining, and my diaphragm’s lining. This procedure required 18 days of recovery. I also had to spend two weeks in an outpatient facility in Boston. After this, I spent two months recovering at my parent’s house in South Dakota. Lily was also with me during this time. I also prepared for chemotherapy and radiation during this final phase of the treatment. 
I made any sacrifices necessary to protect my daughter. My sacrifice during this time was one of the hardest moments of my life. I was away from my baby for a whole month of her life, but she gave me the courage to continue through surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. 

My journey with mesothelioma was difficult. It is a cancer that kills nearly 95 percent of every person diagnosed. Being a mother gave me the strength to keep fighting cancer. My daughter needed me to keep fighting so that she could grow up with a mommy. Lily couldn’t be more correct when she tells everyone that she saved my life because she truly did.
Find out more about Heather at 
mesothelioma.com/blog/authors/heather



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no SPAM. Comments are welcome on all posts but should be respectful of the blog and clean. Thank you for your understanding. I hope you will be active on this blog and welcome your feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...